• The Nangang area, which is undergoing a radical process of reconversion of industrial clusters, has been chosen as the ideal location for the TPMC.
• Actually, Taipei is encircled by a natural and cultural ring, composed in the main part by mountains and in its western part by a dense strip of cultural institutions.
• The site area, located in the eastern part of the city, responds to convenience concerns, being well served by the transportation network and taking advantage of the proximity of high-tech and research clusters.
• The humid subtropical climate, with typhoons regularly hitting the island.
• The need for a landmark, which will have to confront on a world scale and on a local scale with icons such as the Taipei 101and Taipei Performing Arts Centre.
• The uneasy confrontation with the massive tall buildings that will encircle
• The increasing need for open and public spaces.
1. CREATES A NECESSARY VOID WITHIN THE CITY
Located within an area of high rise development the project chooses to minimize its built presence engendering new space for public uses.
2. GENERATES A HIGH INTENSITY URBAN PARK
Pop Music Center and Park are combined into a single element where programs and nature live off each other to create a new model of symbiotic urban organism.
3. COMPLETES A GREEN SYSTEM FOR THE CITY
The Pop Park creates continuity between the Nangan mountain and the city parks creating a large−scale green spine within Taipei.
4. CREATES A CONTEMPORARY LANDMARK
The creation of an open, public green space is a declaration for the sustainable future of the contemporary city (not to build is today a more radical decision);
a place of collective gathering and at the same time a solid inheritance for future generations.
5. MULTIPLIES THE POTENTIAL PUBLIC SPACE
The proposal to overlay the park and the activities of the Music Pop Center triples the area destined for public activities; it is a public building that rather than consuming urban ground creates more of it.
6. CREATES A HIGH INTENSITY SLAB
The project is structured in a system of individual and highly characterized plazas and spaces for spectacle that spread intensity through the whole of the area while permitting flexible and multiple uses of the Center for different activities.
7. OFFERS A PROTECTED YET OPEN SPACE
The project continuously connects the different levels – park and Pop Center – creating spaces that are protected even while maintaining a close relation to nature and open spaces.
8. IS A HYPER CONNECTED MACHINE
The incorporation of pedestrian conveyor belts and escalators, used to connect the different and heterogeneous programs, allows visitors to use the whole length of the area in a dynamic way.